Bowlers often ask me for advice about bowling equipment.
My answer is always the same.
Buying bowling equipment is like buying tools for your tool box. You need to have a nice selection of reliable bowling equipment in your bag that you are comfortable with. It does not matter what brand certain bowling PBA pros use. They get paid by Brunswick and Storm and the other bowling equipment suppliers to endorse their bowling products. Some of them would endorse a square brick if they got paid to do it.
Get good bowling equipment that you feel comfortable with and that you can afford.
Here is some other unusual bowling equipment every bowler should have in their bowling bag.
1) Bottle of water because staying hydrated is important. - All of your fine motor skills that are responsible for your bowling ball getting to the correct place are effected by hydration and dehydration.
2) Bandages and finger tape.
3) Earplugs. - Most bowlers give little thought to the mental fatigue that is caused by the constant cacophony of crashing bowling pins, sudden announcements, the arcade, music, and people talking and cheering.
4) Pictures of something that relaxes you that you can glance at if you get frustrated.
5) Positive Affirmation card: - Let's face it there have been times when you are bowling poorly and you start silently or in many cases loudly saying things like "I suck" " I'm bowling terribly" "I'm a terrible bowler" etc" and thinking that maybe you should not be here on a certain bowling league or team etc because you are not a good bowler etc. You need to have a plan to counteract this.
So having a list of positive affirmations written out will help you mentally "reset" when you are having a tough night bowling.
Writing out positive bowling affirmations such as, " I am a great bowler" " I stay focused" " Free and smooth" "relax, relax relax" " I bowl strike after strike after strike" " I convert every spare" "I love myself" "let it go"
" the last frame is behind me now..."
Here's another tip to add to your list. In the event of a bad bowling match, game, tournament or practice etc. Its great to emotionally " let go" and " release all of the negative energy from that night. When you leave the bowling house you can say something like " I leave it all behind me now so many worlds away"
I personally adopted this phrase from a song by a German rock and roll band "The Scorpions"
They used those lyrics in a song about going out after a day at work. I found those lyrics very useful in emotionally "letting go" of any negative situation or experience.
7) Bible: Many top athletes I know read the bible before a competitive events and while traveling.
8) Nail file and clippers for chipped nails and some finger lotion if needed.
9) All of the usual Asprin and stomach meds that you may need to reduce pain.
10) The Ultimate More Strikes and Spares Super Mental Toughness for Bowling programs.
Also you really owe it to yourself to make my CD and a CD player or mp3 player part of your bowling equipment. Many people overlook this part of bowling as a critical piece of equipment. Because no matter what bowling gear that you have in your bag. It all wont amount to much if your mind is not calm, focused and thinking positive thoughts about yourself as a bowler which is why investing a few bucks on my "mental game bowling CD or mp3 download" may be one of the best pieces of bowling equipment you could ever invest in.
To read all about how it will help you with your bowling. Go to my home page.